One of the best views of Taipei can be found on top of Elephant Mountain (象山). Find out how to get there in this quick guide.
How to get there
1) Find the nearest Taipei Metro (MRT) station to your location and catch the Tamsui–Xinyi (Red) line to Xiangshan (象山) station (pictured above).
2) As you disembark from the station, look out for Exit 2.
3) As you come out of Exit 2, there’s a handy signpost located directly across the exit. Head along Lane 150 until you reach the end of the road. As you continue down the road, Xiang Shan Park should be on your left.
4) At the end of the road, turn left and continue on the foot path for another 5 minutes.
5) Eventually you will see the trail marker (below) next to a set of stairs.
Start your descent up the trail! The stairs are quite steep but if you’re reasonably fit it should take about 20 minutes to reach the top.
Once you reach the viewing platform, you’ll be rewarded with sweeping views of the Taipei skyline. You can continue up the trail for another 5 minutes for a higher view featuring some rather large boulders.
Tips for visiting Elephant Mountain
- The trail can get crowded in the afternoon when locals come out for exercise
- As the trail is quite steep, I would recommend wearing sport shoes or sneakers