The American Express Platinum Card comes with a whopping annual fee of $1,450 – is it worth it?
It really depends on your lifestyle and what you value in terms of benefits.
The American Express Platinum Card has numerous benefits including:
Annual Travel credit – $450 travel credit can be used for flights, hotels or care hire when booking online at AMEX Travel or by calling Platinum Travel Service.
Additional travel credit – Cardholders are eligble to apply for the American Express Platinum Reserve Credit Card. There’s no annual fee as long as you keep your American Express Platinum card and it comes with an $400 travel credit.
American Express Global Lounge Collection Programs & Partners – Additionally, cardholders have access to a range of other lounges worldwide including:
- International American Express Lounges
- The Centurion Lounge
- Priority Pass Lounges
- Virgin Australia Lounge (when travelling domestically on Virgin Australia flights)
- Plaza Premium Airport Lounges
- Delta Sky Club (when traveling on a Delta flight)
Full details about lounge access can be found here.
Complimentary Accor Plus membership – valued at $395, this membership comes with a one ‘Stay Plus’ complimentary night stay each year and up to 50% off dining at participating Accor hotel restaurants in the Asia Pacific region.
Hotel loyalty status – cardholders can gain instant status with 4 hotel loyalty programs:
- Marriot Bonvoy: Gold Elite Status
- Hilton Honors: Gold Status
- Shangri-La Golden Circle: Jade
- Radisson Rewards: Gold Status
American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts benefits – Complimentary benefits offered through the program includes:
- room upgrades when available
- daily breakfast for two people
- noon-check in when available
- guaranteed 4 pm late check-out
- a special amenity at each property (such as a US$100 food and beverage credit or a massage for two people)
Complimentary Australian Financial Review (AFR) digital subscription – normally valued at $628, this benefit has been incredibly useful for me by making me more informed about the business world.
Personally for me the American Express Platinum Card is worth the $1,450 fee mainly due to the two travel credits ($450 +$400) and the AFR digital subscription ($628).
If you want to sign up, you can use my referral link, which means you can receive 90,000 Membership Rewards points if you are approved for an American Express Platinum Card and meet the $3,000 minimum spend criteria. (T&Cs apply). I’ll also receive Membership Rewards points if you use my referral link.